Network Services, Cloud and Data Center Network
Years of Experience
Supporting traditional server-based relational databases for over 8 years and transitioned into AWS and Azure public cloud for the last 5 years
BS in computer sciences, or related discipline.
- SQL Server Database Administration - REQUIRED
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate – Highly Desirable
- AWS Certified Database Specialty – REQUIRED
- Azure Database Administrator Associate – Highly Desirable
- SQL Server / MSSQL 2008 / 2012 / 2014 / 2016 / 2017 / 2019 (including Always-On and Analysis Services).
- Postgres / MYSQL as standalone and managed service platforms.
- Strong database migration experience (Particularly MSSQL to open source and leveraging AWS native platforms including RDS, Athena, Aurora)
- Extensive AWS experience in a commercial environment, architecting database best practices.
- Strong experience supporting AWS / Azure based datalake/data warehouse environments. Required to support internal BI teams
- Solid experience and understanding which workloads are best suitable for which specific database platforms in AWS and Azure
- Extensive experience and understanding of database security, including appropriate encryption and authentication best practices
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Power BI
- Good knowledge of Azure cloud database services
- Any working experience around non-relational databases (internally hosted or managed service such as DynamoDB in AWS will be favoured)
- Good working knowledge of Windows and Linux Server Operating Systems
- Excellent presentation skills to both an internal and external audience
- The ability to share and communicate your specific expertise to the rest of the Technology group
- Involved in new solutions design discussions and to recommend suitable, secure, performance optimised database offerings based on business requirements.
- Ensure all databases in the AWS and Azure are configured for performance, scale and high availability where required.
- Take responsibility of modernization of client database estate in the cloud, leveraging open source technologies and cloud-native hosting platforms.
- Drive innovation by constantly reviewing the latest public cloud platform database service releases such as Babelfish in AWS to fast track adoption of native services.
- Ensure security considerations are at the forefront when designing and managing database solutions.
- Optimise query performance.
- Ensure all key databases have deep insight monitoring enabled to enable improved capabilities around fault detection.
- Perform regular database maintenance when required and ensure databases are backed up according to agreed RTO / RPO information.
- Maintenance work to be planned meticulously to minimise/eradicate self-inflicted P1 outages · Monitoring database costs regularly and identify strategies to minimize cost as part of internal FinOps practices.
- Ability to provide technical system solutions, determine overall design direction and provide hardware recommendations for complex technical issues.
- Provisioning, deployment, monitoring cloud environment using automation tools like Terraform.